Tuesday 5 October 2010

Composition

The third task we were set, asked us to take 10 photographs, each of which would show the aspects of composition: lines, frame within a frame, patterns/texture, balance, angle, reflections, shadows, distance, colour and focus. We would then pick three or four of the photographs, which we felt illustrated a number of these aspects.

Leading Lines/Shadows/Texture/Abstract

Shutter Speed: 1/125,  Aperture: F/5.6, ISO 100

After thinking about a number of different locations for this assignment, I finally settled on Brindleyplace in Birmingham. I knew the square contains a number of different archways and monuments and I thought they'd provide interesting subjects for the various different compositional techniques. In this photo, I wanted to frame the columns so that they would not only be an example of abstract photography, but also, so that the angle would lead the eye in to the picture and towards the shadows. The different size and style of the floor tiles further helps the picture, by adding texture.

Balance/Colour/Focus

Shutter Speed: 1/60, Aperture: F/4.5, ISO 100

Unfortunately, (due to the intervention of a friendly security guard,) I wasn't able to take all of the photographs I'd planned in Brindleyplace. This necessitated a quick rethink. The day before going to Birmingham, I'd visited Attingham park in Shropshire and knew I'd taken another picture that would demonstrate multiple composition methods. This picture was an attempt (using selective focus,) to isolate the main flowers from the background, whilst hinting, at the presence of the others. By allowing the flowers to take up two thirds of the frame, it clearly makes them the focus of the picture, but still offers a glimpse of the surrounding plants. Another advantage of this type of composition, is that it allows the vibrant colour of the flowers, to dictate the overall tone of the picture, without completely dominating the frame.

Angle: Low/Tilted

Shutter Speed: 1/125, Aperture: F/5.6, ISO 100

After leaving Brindleyplace, I was walking through Victoria square, when I noticed the ornate façade of a nearby building. I quickly set-up my camera and focused on one of the two statues which hold up a balcony. Due to the busy nature of the square, I wasn't able to use my tripod, so had to switch to a fast shutter speed of 1/125, in an effort to reduce the camera shake. I felt the statue would make the most interesting subject, because the beard, muscles and assorted other embellishments surrounding it, help to add patterns and texture to the image. The slightly off kilter angle of the picture, in my opinion, makes for a more interesting composition, than the traditional approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment